A Coton de Tulear may be right for you if you want a dog who...
- Is small but sturdy
- Has a long, soft cottony coat that doesn't shed (one of the best breeds for allergy sufferers)
- Doesn't need a lot of exercise
- Is polite with people and other animals
- Is healthy and long-lived
A Coton de Tulear may not be right for you if you don't want to deal with...
- "Separation anxiety" (destructiveness and barking) if left alone too much
- Shyness or suspiciousness in some lines, or when not socialized enough
- Frequent brushing and combing
- Housebreaking difficulties
- A high price tag
If you're considering an adult Coton de Tulear...
There are plenty of adult Coton de Tulears who have already proven themselves NOT to have negative characteristics. If you find such an adult, don't let "typical breed negatives" worry you.
When you acquire a puppy, you're acquiring potential -- what he one day will be. So "typical breed characteristics" are very important. But when you acquire an adult, you're acquiring what he already is.